In 1918, a great woman by the name of Clara Muhammad was married to the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. Together, they dedicated themselves to educating their own children and not leaving their destiny in the hands of the American educational system. They risked their lives and their freedom in an era when not only was independent education illegal, but bold, independent thinking by African Americans was considered a threat to the United States of America. As a result of their dedication to their mission, Clara and Elijah Muhammad carved a space in American history –she as The Mother of Education and he as the foundation of Islam in America- and opened up the very first Islamic School in the nation; thus changing the face of freedom and education in America forever.
The first Islamic educational Institution in Atlanta was opened in 1965 and was named the University of Al-Islam. After financially struggling to survive for over a decade, the University of Al-Islam closed its doors in 1977, much to the dismay and disappointment of the entire Muslim community in Atlanta. But that closing would be short-lived. In 1980, the community came together, once again, to fulfill the dream of Sister Clara Mohammed, and opened an Islamic Institution that saluted her bravery and courage by naming the school Sister Clara Mohammed School.
In 1989, although the name Sister Clara Mohammed School remained the same for our elementary and middle school programs, signifying where we began, our struggle for freedom and our obligation to thoroughly and honestly educate our children, we renamed our 9th -12th grade program W.D.Mohammed High School, signifying the Vision, the wisdom, and the mission of W.D.Mohammed, and the direction of our High School educational program for our future world leaders.